Linux System Administrator
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Nuvation is looking for a talented and motivated Linux System Administrator with excellent technical expertise. This is a full-time position in our Waterloo office.
As Linux System Administrator, you will join our Software Development Infrastructure (SDI) team. This team focuses on designing, implementing, securing, and maintaining tools and services directly used by Engineering teams. This role will directly contribute to the development of in-house tools, server and service management, and designing new processes to improve Engineering efficiency. Additional responsibilities include Linux integration on Engineering projects, mentorship, and individual growth.
Tools Development – Integrate off-the-shelf tools, as well as design and implement custom in-house utilities to meet the needs of Engineering. Automate maintenance and monitoring tasks with scripts, Salt, and Docker.
Server and Service Maintenance – Deploy, update, and secure containerized services, build servers, data storage, and other networked infrastructure.
Cross-Team Interaction – Working directly with Engineering team members to understand pain points and design and implement solutions. Collaborate with the IT team to accomplish company-wide goals.
Product Integration – Use your skills to assist Engineering teams with their use of Linux in Engineering projects and Nuvation products.
Technical Development – Developing your technical skills, knowledge and leadership through a work environment that provides mentoring and open collaboration.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Strong Linux OS-level software troubleshooting
- Highly experienced with building, maintaining, and troubleshooting containerized applications and services with Docker on Linux
- Proven experience in Bash scripting and best practices
- In-depth knowledge of modern Debian-based Linux distributions
- Strong understanding of ZFS administration
- In-depth knowledge of computer networking, including common protocols including DHCP, DNS, SSH, TCP/IP, etc.
- Proficient in Python
- Knowledge of Salt and experience administering systems and creating states
- Ability to build computers and troubleshoot computer hardware
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills
- University degree or College Diploma in Computer Science/Engineering, IT administration, or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of modern x86 computer architecture
- Experience administering self-hosted GitLab
- Understanding of Debian application packaging and repository management
- Experience with configuring and compiling Linux and kernel modules
- Knowledge of Network UPS Tools (NUT)
- Experience with development in C
- Working knowledge of collaborative version control with git
- Experience with networked storage including NFS and CIFS/SMB
- Understanding of CI/CD pipelines as well as good principles and practices
General Skills & Characteristics to be Successful at Nuvation
All Nuvation employees require a common set of general skills & characteristics – your capability in these areas will enable you to be successful at Nuvation. We take these skills and characteristics seriously – being a Nuvation employee requires more than just experience and role-specific skills.
- You want to learn, and you do so quickly
- You are proficient at estimation and critical thinking
- You are organized, independent, and self-managing
- You have strong written and verbal communication
- You desire to work and collaborate with people and teams – you make your colleagues better, and you grow from their contributions
- You focus on results and with quality
- You are passionate and creative – with a willingness to go beyond the normal
- You are hands-on and practical
What does Nuvation Energy Do?
When you work for Nuvation Energy, you will be working on solving one of the most important problems of our time. Nuvation Energy creates battery management systems that are being used worldwide to support energy storage with projects such as repurposing used electric vehicle batteries, replacing fossil fuel generators, and implementing cleaner power generation for buildings, industrial facilities, and utilities.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, come join us!
Who is Nuvation Energy?
Nuvation Energy and Nuvation Engineering are two brands under Nuvation Research Corporation, which was founded in 1997. Our head office is in Silicon Valley, California, and our research and development team is located in a 30,000 square foot facility in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Nuvation Energy is proud to be recognized as a part of Waterloo Region’s Clean Economy Ecosystem. Learn more about us.