Senior Mechanical Engineer
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Nuvation is looking for a talented and motivated Senior Mechanical Designer with a background in mechanical design, excellent technical expertise, as well as the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment. This is a full-time position in our Waterloo Office.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience working with multi-discipline teams, has sound knowledge of system engineering practices, and is comfortable in a highly collaborative environment. Proven experience is a must, but so are technical creativity and the ability to learn. In this role you will have the opportunity to develop diverse technical expertise, keep your career dynamic and exciting, and gain a broad range of skills. If you are looking for constant challenges on a wide variety of design problems, this is the job for you.
The Senior Mechanical Designer will join our Energy System Design Services team. This team focuses on designing Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) and leverages our battery management system and energy management system products to bring an entire BESS to life. This role will directly contribute to the analysis, design decisions, and implementation of these systems. Additional responsibilities include general engineering leadership, team development, mentorship, and individual growth.
- Engineering Execution – Actively contributing to the delivery of our Engineering Services. All levels of technical activity will be involved, ranging from design and development to in-lab bring-up. This will be your primary activity – creating new systems for Nuvation and our customers.
- Technical Development – Developing your technical skills, knowledge and leadership through a work environment that provides mentoring and open collaboration.
- Customer Interaction – Ensuring project success by working directly with team members to provide timely and accurate project updates to clients. Providing pre-sales and post-sales technical resources to support our Sales Account Managers.
- System Architecture – Identify and define architecture level solutions that meet the technical and non-technical requirements of the system/product
- Technical Leadership – Leading, defining, and evolving system development methodologies and resources
Qualifications & Requirements
- Experience with mechanical/structural design for battery systems is a strong asset
- Cooling system analysis and design experience for thermal management
- Understanding of electrical, thermal, and mechanical characteristics of cells, modules and/or packs (SOC, SOH, DOD life cycle etc.)
- Knowledge of engineering materials. Should have a good understanding of different materials and grades
- Strong experience designing parts requiring joining techniques, namely fastening, welding and adhesives
- Background in modeling, simulation, and analysis (i.e., durability, thermal, electrical)
- Proven experience with generating engineering deliverables such as mechanical drawings, analysis, and other technical documents
- Highly experienced with SolidWorks or similar CAD tools
- Highly experienced in engineering processes
- Experience working with stakeholders and customers to determine technical requirements and engineering implementation needs
- Experience with designing using specifications and requirements which are based on technical needs
- Ability to identify complex problems, review related information to develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Skilled in performing design activities to meet applicable safety standards
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills
- Strong ability to communicate professionally and positively with customers and vendors
- University degree or College Diploma in Electrical/Electronics, Mechanical, Systems, Mechatronics, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and application experience of certifications and standards such as
- Shock and vibration / seismic, UL / CE
- Experience with thermal management design and analysis
- Knowledge of three phase power electronics fundamentals
- Design experience in a complementary discipline
General Skills & Characteristics to be Successful at Nuvation
All Nuvation employees require a common set of general skills & characteristics – your capability in these areas will enable you to be successful at Nuvation. We take these skills and characteristics seriously – being a Nuvation employee requires more than just experience and role-specific skills.
- You want to learn, and you do so quickly
- You are effective at multi-tasking and switching gears by prioritizing, focusing, and adapting to the multiple concurrent tasks/projects at hand
- You are proficient at estimation and critical thinking
- You are organized, independent, and self-managing
- You have strong written and verbal communication
- You desire to work and collaborate with people and teams – you make your colleagues better and you grow from their contributions
- You focus on results, and with quality
- You are passionate and creative – with a willingness to go beyond the normal
- You are hands-on and practical
What does Nuvation Energy do?
When you work for Nuvation Energy, you will be working on solving one of the most important problems of our time. Nuvation Energy creates battery management systems that are being used worldwide to support energy storage with projects such as repurposing used electric vehicle batteries, replacing fossil fuel generators, and implementing cleaner power generation for buildings, industrial facilities, and utilities.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, come join us!
Who is Nuvation Energy?
Nuvation Energy and Nuvation Engineering are two brands under Nuvation Research Corporation, which was founded in 1997. Our head office is in Silicon Valley, California, and our research and development team is located in a 30,000 square foot facility in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Nuvation Energy is proud to be recognized as a part of Waterloo Region’s Clean Economy Ecosystem. Learn more about us.